The Best Grocery Store Fried Chicken (We’re Not Clucking Around)

The best grocery store fried chicken should taste like fried chicken from a soul food restaurant. I wasn’t sure if that was possible before this taste test, but I was very, very wrong! Two national chains offer grocery store fried chicken that knocked my socks off.

And before you say anything, Publix is not on this list. We’re located in Los Angeles, so we weren’t able to taste that beloved grocery store fried chicken. Sorry, y’all! These two grocery store fried chicken options live up to anything you’ve had at a regional grocery store chain, though. In fact, these live up to restaurant fried chicken I’ve had! The next time you have a hankering for some fried chicken but don’t have time to sit down at a restaurant (or fry your own), buy the best supermarket fried chicken!

grocery store fried chicken

Best of the Best Runner-Up

Stater Bros Fried Chicken

I was really impressed with Stater Bros grocery store fried chicken! I don’t think about Stater Bros often in general, but now I will. Their fried chicken was meaty, moist, and well-seasoned. The crust is not too thin, but not too thick, and it’s plenty crunchy. Plus, it’s super affordable. This is a great option if you want to have a fried chicken dinner at home and don’t feel like cooking or dishing out a bunch of cash. You could even tell your family you made this. They won’t know the difference! It tastes like it could be homemade in the best way possible.

Credit: Merc / Stater Bros

Rating:

9/10

Sporks

grocery store fried chicken

Best of the Best

Home Chef Fried Chicken

Home Chef provides the fried chicken for Ralph’s and it is so damn good. I was in disbelief when I tried it. It tastes like fried chicken from a restaurant. It’s so moist and juicy. The flavor and seasoning is through the roof. The crust is crunchy and is the perfect thickness. Everyone at Sporked has been fantasizing about this fried chicken since we tasted it. I will never debate where to buy fried chicken again. Go buy this ASAP because it is easily the best grocery store fried chicken to ever exist.

Credit: Merc / Ralphs

Rating:

10/10

Sporks

Other Products We Tried:
Albertsons, Pavilions

About the Author

Jordan Myrick

Jordan is an L.A.-based writer and comedian who believes all food should come with extra sauce. When they're not writing for Sporked, Jordan is at the movies or sharing an order of french fries with their elderly chihuahua.

Thoughts? Questions? Complete disagreement? Leave a comment!

Your thoughts.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• Fake News, I’m so sorry but Publix fried chicken falls way short the only reason most people buy it is simply because Popeyes has become to expensive and most mom and pop restaurants aren’t as good anymore because of bad management and siblings selling the business off to crappie new owners.

• marry me beautiful, smart and funny

• I live in florida never tried the other ones but I have had Publix fried chicken many time . It is most definitely not the best fried chicken it’s usually really greasy and has far too much breading on it , and couldn’t count the times I got it under cooked .

• I don’t understand how someone who lives in one city in one corner of the country and doesn’t even make an effort to travel around can make a judgment on ALL GROCERY STORE fried chicken. Seems like a pretty lazy reporting job.

• Sorry to disagree, but Publix beats even the fast food joints, much less any grocery store!!

• By far Publix In house fried chicken is the best very moist and just the right amount of batter and seasonings beyond finger licking good!

• I totally agree 👍

• 👍

• Acme..the best

• Get to a Publix really soon. There’s nothing like their fried chicken. It’s #1.

• I grew up in FL and agree, but we only cover national grocery store chains and nationally available items at Sporked.

• Come to San Antonio TX! THE BEST Fried Chicken is sold at Bill Millers Bar-B-Que stores, believe it or not!

• Publix deli all day

• I lived in San Antonio and Bills doesn’t even rank near Publix. Sorry just my opinion

• Gotta jump on the Publix bandwagon here. They do sell some of the best Southern fried chicken in the game, grocery store or not. (They also make great rotisserie-style baked chicken.)

The only thing missing in my opinion is a little heat. It just doesn’t bring the spice level like Bojangles or Popeyes Spicy chicken does. You won’t get laughed out of the barbecue or Super Bowl party though, and you can always dab on a little Crystal or Frank’s if you like a little more bite.

• Best fried chicken in Phoenix Arizona 85022.

• In the southeast, try Publix supermarkets.

• Publix is the best by far. Try the Nashville chicken if you like spice.

• Ralph’s, Von’s,Food for Less, Albertsons,any where else that sells fried chicken is too salty dry thick crust and you taste no other seasons other than salt I rather make it at home

• Two options, Jordan? Come on. I’m 2000 miles away from either option 😂