There’s a New Ghostbusters ICEE (But It’s NOT Ecto Cooler Flavored!)

Move over, Dune popcorn buckets. The good folks at ICEE have announced a new limited-time Mischievous Mini-Pufts flavor is available now to promote Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire blasting into theaters. The flavor’s name isn’t just an apparition—you will be able to order a “Marshmallow Flavored ICEE” (not to be confused with “Marshmello Flavored Coca-Cola”). The ICEE Company has also temporarily renamed three classic flavors (blue raspberry, green apple, and cherry), but in a post-ICEE-flavored cookie world, that’s not newsworthy in the slightest. Now, let’s start digging through all this gooey Stay-Puft stuff.

Wait, they chose Marshmallow? Wasn’t there a drink specifically associated with Ghostbusters?

If I’m being asked by ICEE the Polar Bear-ian to choose the form of my frozen destruction, there’s no way in hell I’m choosing the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man. I’d be going toe-to-toe with the one and only Hi-C Ecto Cooler. Check out Joe’s article there for the full history, but here’s the briefest summary: Back in the ‘80s, Hi-C rebranded their already-popular Citrus Cooler drink to promote the Real Ghostbusters cartoon, permanently imprinting Ecto Cooler’s orange-tangerine flavor onto an entire generation of brains as “What Ghostbusters Tastes Like.”

Ecto Cooler was last seen on shelves in 2016 to promote the all-lady Ghostbusters movie—you remember, the one that was hated to death by the worst parts of the internet? And for some reason, this liquid nostalgia has been absent from the promotional slates of the most recently released Ghostbusters films! Considering how heavily these new Ghostbusters films have catered to those ‘80s kids, you’d think the actual catering available to order alongside them would match.

Do I need a PKE Meter to find this Marshmallow ICEE for myself?

That’s a tricky question. Since it isn’t a theater chain exclusive, it’s not guaranteed to be anywhere. Rather, any business that offers ICEEs has the option of ordering this new flavor to put in their machines. In their announcement, The ICEE Company did list a large number of places this new flavor may be located—and it’s not all theaters. They list Target, Dodge’s Southern Style, Showcase Cinemas, Santikos, Cinepolis, Jacksons Food Stores, Hy-Vee, Main Event, Krystal, Pilot and Flying J, Safeway, Tom Thumb, Vons, Checkers and Rally’s, and Albertsons. If you do find this new ICEE, please resist the urge to combine it with other flavors—don’t cross the streams.

About the Author

Griffin Parker

Griffin Parker is a writer, award-winning charity auctioneer, and "influencer in the beverage space" according to a few PR agencies. Please do not ask him about the cotton candy business he started right out of high school. When he's not contributing to Sporked or running the @SodaSeekers news pages, you can find Griffin espousing the virtues of Dayton-style pizza, Cincinnati-style chili, and Dolly Parton's Fabulously Fudgy Brownie Mix.

Thoughts? Questions? Complete disagreement? Leave a comment!

Your thoughts.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• I love women and there is I don’t just love them I want to stay with one forever and forever ever and ever and always but I want to do bust up with him and I want to do other stuff I want to do what makes them happy I want to do makes me happy if they want to play with me in ways that make me uncomfortable that’s okay because I want to maybe make them feeling comfortable too so we’re equal but I’m always going to love my freak and I’m going to be my freaks freak so it’s going to be okay

• Also I do but stuff too so any girl that is not a guy that likes you bust off I will have my tongue and finger ready and after that way you got to work towards the finish line that’s the big dog but it’s okay

• I am the cock at a walk baby my cock it tastes like extra cooler one and it’s icy flavored like vanilla only icy

• “you remember, the one that was hated to death by the worst parts of the internet?”

That’s the strangest way to spell “You remember, the one that was absolute garbage and nobody at all liked but I’m still going to try to use it to push a narrative.”

• I get so sick and tired of people implying others are “bad people” because they didn’t like a shitty movie that set out to intentionally shit on the source material. I love the fact that a lot of woke garbage, I mean woke people, are finally getting checked left and right by those with common sense. We’re tired of this shit. GB2016 was pure garbage. Melissa McCarthy is garbage. The script was garbage. Making Hemsworth a sexual object when Potts was a strong, no nonsense character, was garbage. Everything about GB2016 was unadulterated garbage that packed any sort of authentic comedy.

• I’m a piss on this your face and I’m going to fart in your mouth and I’m going to s*** on these walls Ray

• Honestly though, the biggest issue is how does it taste? My regular theater didn’t opt to get the flavor, they actually just changed to blue raspberry from Mnt Dew and regularly have issues with their cherry machine, and they didn’t opt to change the names of Blue Raspberry or Cherry (which makes the change both news and baffling -what are they called now?). Point being, it’s hard enough when a flavor comes off weak like my Cherry Icee was today, when I saw Frozen Empire, actually, it’d be even worse to buy a fully bad flavor for $8.50 and have to sit there with a large cup of yuck. Marshmallow is just too subtle of a flavor to make me think it’d be a passable Icee flavor, let alone a good one. I’d try it of course, but I just don’t know. It doesn’t sound great on paper.

• You’re just a big f** just handle it

• By worst part of the internet I guess u mean everyone who was a fan of ghostbusters before that slap stick train wreck was released. Lol

• It’s interesting you describe it that way. I had just said pretty much those same words to my dad about it that movie today. It’s exactly what it was: the worst of everything comedy had become in Ghostbusters form

• It would require licensing the Ecto Cooler flavor and branding from Coca-Cola, then re-creating the flavor, which they probably either didn’t want or have the resources to do.

• This is what I was thinking. There was just too many moving parts, food engineering-wise. They could have just made a reasonable knock off, but that comes with the problem of Coke coming after them, which wouldn’t be pretty either. Besides, if the flavor is a tie-in to the new movies, Slimer isn’t really a factor in them. Nor is slime. It makes a modicum more sense that they tie it to Stay-Puft because the marshmallows are big in both (even though a bit forced Frozen Empire)

• “worst part of the internet”

It was universally disliked.